Volkswagen was founded in 1937 – and the company has achieved so much in that time. Of course as suppliers of classic VW parts we may be a bit biased when we say they’re one of the best car manufacturers out there, but if you’re reading this… then maybe you do too! So, we have compiled a list of 11 Fun Facts about Volkswagen for your perusal…
1. The record number of people to cram into a VW Beetle is 57! This was accomplished by a trained group of climbers who used every single inch of the cabin and even had people climb onto the roof. Before this record was set the previous record was 32 people, all of which were INSIDE the vehicle!
2. Volkswagen is ranked number 7 in the list of world’s largest companies. It has twelve subsidiary brands: Bugatti, Lamborghini, Bentley, Porsche, Audi, Škoda, SEAT, Ducati, Scania, MAN and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles.
3. Volkswagen used to provide financial compensation for babies born in a Beetle. They would award savings bonds to the infants born, some say it was $5 and others reported it was $300!
4. The Kong dog toy was inspired by the Volkswagen Bus. The creator’s dog was a nightmare chewing up dog toys within seconds, one day while working on his Bus the dog got hold of the rubber suspension bump-stop and loved it. Thus the idea for the Kong was born.
5. In 1948, Ford Motor Company was offered the Volkswagen Company free of charge, but founder Henry Ford declined it by saying “it wasn’t worth a damn.” We bet he regretted that decision down the line!
6. The white Beetle known for being on the cover of The Beatles Abbey Road had its number plates (LMW 281F) stolen repeatedly since the album release. It’s now on display in the Volkswagen museum in Wolfsburg, tucked away safe and sound!
7. Speaking of Wolfsburg…the majority of the inhabitants of Wolfsburg are employed either directly or indirectly by Volkswagen. The plant was built in 1938. (Read more about the History of the Beetle here)
9. The original Aircooled Beetle was manufactured from 1938 to 2003, during which the company sold more than 21 million units worldwide. It was considered to be the world’s best-selling car for most of the 20th century.
10. The Volkswagen I.D.R is a prototype race car (there has only been one manufactured) – the I.D.R now holds the record for fastest electric vehicle lap at the Nürburgring in Germany, Pikes Peak in Colorado and the Goodwood Festival of Speed Hill Climb in Sussex.
11. The only part not to have changed throughout the life of the beetle was the bonnet seal channel.
We hope you enjoyed these fun facts about Volkswagen! Don’t forget if you’re working on a classic Volkswagen or Porsche, you can find thousands of parts over on our website Heritage Parts Centre.
Got a project Volkswagen on the go? Why not check out our blog: What Wheels Will Fit My Car?